Monday, July 21, 2008

Yugo diary Summer 2008 II - Zekstra is still ok in my book

We've come to Novi Sad for the wedding of the daughter of old friends of G.s family. Unfortunately, I hadn't been able to dry clean anything before we left, so I dragged a not very clean suit in the car, leaving it squished between a suitcase and the dog food. It emerged from the 1400 km journey looking like a potato sack, so G thought it wise to see if we could get me a new suit. As I'm 203 cm (6'8") tall, I'm always skeptical about any suggestion that I can just go out and buy something as tailored-to-fit as a suit just off the rack in a shop, but we went into Zekstra, the Serbian clothing retailer, which I have mentioned before, on the off chance that it might just work this time.

The woman helping us looked me up and down and said that it wasn't a problem,and that they had several suits that would fit. I scoffed, and followed her. Yeah right, I thought. Heard this one before.

Much to my surprise, however, I tried one on and - hey presto! - it fit, with the only problem being the fact that the legs were too long. I bought two suits, and danced out of the shop feeling that I was once again among the land of the giants where I belong. There are some big boys in this country to be sure. And Zekstra - all is forgiven. You are still all right by me.

No comments: